Posted on

TAKE ON THE STAVELEY 3 VALLEYS CHALLENGE…

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge

 

Are you ready to take on the Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge? The event, formally known as the Sam Houghton Challenge is a timed charity mountain bike ride starting and finishing at Wheelbase HQ in the Mill Yard, Staveley in the stunning south Lake District. This challenging event which boasts a laid-back & friendly vibe, takes in the picturesque valleys of Longsleddale, Kentmere & Troutbeck and includes the infamous Garburn Pass.

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

Photo by Sportsunday

 

To date the Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge under its former Sam Haughton Challenge name has raised over £200,000 for Cancer Research UK; the 2022 event will continue to support Cancer Research UK, who will receive 90% of the proceeds raised with the other 10% going to worthy charities and causes in the Lake District village of Staveley.

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

Photo by Sportsunday

 

Despite the name change, everything else stays  the same – same challenging mountain bike route, same friendly marshals dotted throughout the course, same great check-point cakes for all participants and the same well-earned party after the challenge has been completed! When you roll back into the Mill Yard in Staveley you won’t have to think about cleaning the mud off your mountain bike either! Cumbria Fire and Rescue will be on hand with their ‘Big Bike Wash’.

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

Photo by Sportsunday

 

Don’t miss out on the chance to win some fantastic prizes! Throughout the day you will be able to buy tickets for the Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge Prize Raffle with a great mix of prizes including an amazing Kona Lava Dome hardtail mountain bike from us here at Wheelbase. All proceeds go to Cancer Research UK and worthy charities and good causes in Staveley.

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

Photo by Sportsunday

 

Entries

Entries are limited to 500 places! Unfortunately there are no entries available on the day. Choose from Solo (male or female), Pairs or Team (groups of 3 or 4). Electric mountain bikes welcome across all categories too. If you’re taking on the shorter route entries are open to ‘Youth & Experience’ riders (2, 3 or 4 riders with at least 1 rider under 16 years old and 1 rider over 18 years old). All riders taking part in the long course must be over 18 years old.

Event entry fee includes a free meal at the finish courtesy of Wilf’s Café as  well as  free admission to Hawkshead Brewery, both in the Mill Yard, for their post ride bash, presentations, raffle and live music.

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

Lot’s more information on the Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge website.

 

The Routes

Riders can choose between the short 25km course with 700m of ascent or the long 46km course with 1,400m of ascent.

Short Course

Starting just outside Wheelbase in the Mill Yard riders head north up the Haw Lane, then take the bridleway to the south of Skeggles Water and down into the Longsleddale valley. They’ll then follow the bridleway along the valley to Till’s Hole joining the road and heading north-west to Checkpoint 1 at Sadgill (Grid Ref: SE 484057). They’ll then take the bridleway south then west over to Brockstones, riding the Low Lane track into Green Quarter and down the road into Kentmere Village to Checkpoint 2 (Grid Ref: SE 457039). Riders follow the road south for a short distance before heading up Green Water to the west of Skeggles Water, onwards to the derelict barn and Checkpoint 5 (Grid Ref: SE 473033), then back to Staveley Head Fell, turning west to descend through HP Plantation. All that’s left is the road back to the finish point outside Wheelbase at the Mill Yard (Grid Ref: SE 472983)

Staveley3 Valleys Challenge 2022

 

Long Course

Riders will complete the same route as the short course until they reach Checkpoint 2 at Kentmere Village. From Checkpoint 2 riders take on the infamous Garburn Pass over into Troutbeck Valley to Checkpoint 3 (Grid Ref: SE 413028). Riders will then climb up Moor Howe road then along the tracks up to High House and over Micklemoss to descend back into Kentmere Village to Checkpoint 4 (Grid Ref: SE 457039). From here riders pedal over Green Quarter via Checkpoint 5 (Grid Ref: SE 473033) and complete the same run back into Staveley as the short course option to the finish point outside Wheelbase at the Mill Yard (Grid Ref: SE 472983)

Staveley 3 Valleys Challenge 2022

 

Important Riders undertaking the Long Course must reach the Kentmere checkpoint (Checkpoint 2 Grid Ref: SE 457039). By 2.30pm to be allowed to continue on the full Long Course. After 2.30pm riders will be asked to complete the short course instead; this is in the interest of the Long course marshal’s welfare.