- What is an electric bike?
- Could you benefit from one?
- Are they suitable for all riding conditions?
- How do they work?
Electric bicycles, also known as e-bikes, work as a motor-assisted ride. With a built-in motor and rechargeable battery providing you with power-assisted pedalling for when you need that extra support and push to make it to your destination.
Great for commuters, an e-bike offers a fast and effortless way to get to work and for mountain bikers and road riders, they open up opportunities to ride further and take on previously unconquerable hills.
The popularity of e-bikes in the UK has risen considerably in recent years.
Whatever the reason and whomever the person, there is an e-bike for everyone.
E-bikes can help to put the fun back into riding again, with steep hills no longer a problem, the distance a thing of the past, and being able to ride those mountain trails with ease.
Of course, finding the right bike for you doesn’t come without a lot of research. You have to know your bikes, as with so many different makes and models available, you must find the right one for you.
Keep with a pace you’re comfortable with, contact the cycle experts at Wheelbase, and have your questions answered, honestly.
Electric bikes and the Law
E-bikes are designed to assist the rider, not offer the full pedalling support. This is why it is the law that the motor and battery included in an electric bike must not be the sole source of power for the bicycle – some effort on your part is still required.
A maximum speed restriction is set at 25kph (or roughly 15mph).
Motors included inside electric bikes, must not exceed 250w and must not under any circumstances be operated by a throttle.
Different Electric Bikes Available
Electric Road Bikes
E-road bikes are ideal if you’re looking to keep up with the pace of large cycle groups, shave time off your daily commute, or simply enjoy what you love doing the most – road cycling.
Electric road bikes are performance built. With innovative designs that look to help riders sustain their speed, it’s all about providing you with the opportunity to go further, faster, providing the ultimate endurance.
Lightweight in comparison to hybrid electric bikes, e-road bikes offer a smooth and comfortable road riding experience.
Our pick of electric road bikes includes:
- Cannondale Synapse Neo – With its smooth and silent power system, comfortable sportive position and massive range, the Synapse Neo brings new riding and endless possibilities.
- Focus Paralane2 – This e-road bike combines lightweight design with motor assistance. Kicking in only when you need it, the extra 400 Watts of power helps flatten out those previously unconquerable hills.
- Cube Agree Hybrid C:62 SL – redefining your expectations of an electric bike. The Cube Agree combines all that is great about the classic road bike, with all that is necessary from an e-bike.
Electric Mountain Bikes
Providing you with everything you love about mountain biking and then taking it one step further and providing you with even more.
This is what an e-mountain bike can do. It will give you the capability to tackle those bigger mountainous hills with ease.
With the ability to ride for longer, e-mountain bikes extend your time on the trails and allow more time flying down hills as ascent times halve.
Our pick of electric mountain bikes includes:
- Specialised Turbo Levo – Offering a smooth and powerful motor to help you take on any challenge, the Levo combines pedal assist with all the hallmarks known to Specialized’s mountain bike designs.
- Trek Rail– The ultimate trail e-MTB, specifically designed to get you up the mountain efficiently and then send it straight back down, repeatedly.
- Merida eOne Sixty 9000 – An enduro e-MTB with an agile and playful character, the eOne Sixty is built for taking on the most demanding trails.
Hybrid Electric Bikes
The most common style of e-bike, hybrid or leisure bikes are ideal for commuting, touring and leisure riding. Extremely capable and comfortable, these bikes will eat up the miles with minimal effort.
If you’re looking for something a little heavier in weight, more robust, and sturdier to handle, then a hybrid electric bike is a perfect choice.
Comfortable, easy to handle, and completely smooth, e-bikes within this range are perfect for all outdoor adventures.
Our pick of Hybrid electric bikes includes:
- Cube Touring Hybrid – With the versatility to ride tarmac and bridleways, the Touring Hybrid range is ideal for commuters and leisure cyclists alike.
- Cube Reaction Hybrid – One of the best hybrid hardtail bikes on the market, the Reaction Hybrid combines the MTB comfort of a front suspension fork with the agile ride geometry of Cube’s hybrid bike expertise.
- Trek Allant+ – Smart, stylish looks and an ultra-efficient drive system make the Allant+ a great option for cruising through the city on your commute. Equipped with mudguards and pannier racks, you can ride the Allant+ through all weather and carry everything you need.
Electric Bikes for Sale
There are so many reasons why buying an electric bike is the right decision!
Some of these positives include:
- Helps to improve overall health and fitness levels
- Helps with rehabilitation schedules after injury or illness
- Helps to keep up the pace no matter what your age
- Let’s you cycle further and take on bigger and tougher challenges
- You can take on the extra weight and still be able to cycle with ease!
Cycling is more than just about health and fitness; it’s about fun; it’s about the enjoyment and thrill of the ride.
Electric bikes now help to keep these elements and so much more going. Bringing them to the forefront and reminding us why we love to ride again.
If you’re looking for the perfect electric bike for sale, look no further than the UK’s largest online cycle store, Wheelbase.
With expert advice, free shipping, 0% finance, and so much more available, you quite simply have nothing to lose and everything fun about cycling to gain when you shop with us.
Check out our full ranges throughout our website.